Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Week 1 Day 2 - My Volunteer Project in Cambodia


It's only day two but i've learned quite a lot about the process of filter-making!
The first thing I did was very similar to one of the methods in baking! Which was sifting bigger chunks of sand into finer sand - reminds me of sifting flour and sugar during baking! 

After sifting the sand twice - the second sift made of tinier holes, I shoved the fine sand into a bucket to be washed. In order to utilise clean sand to be filled into the filter container, I have to wash the sand around 5-6 times! There are many water hose at the site of the filter-making so I sat beside one of them and washed the sand continuously. After that, With the help of Marco, the Aussie volunteer, I poured the bucket of clean sand, as heavy as twice my weight, into a 'karang guni'/big sack.

Besides that, I used the artsy side of me to paint the cement-made filter containers with white paint.
Elsie, a French volunteer also joined me in painting the containers. Managed to find out more about her volunteer trip as well!

Once we were done with 2 layers of paint, one of the staff who work with us began pouring buckets of sand and gravel into a cement mixer which made loud noises when it was switched on. When the cement was ready, I scooped the mixture and poured into the mould of the filter container. We managed to build 4 filter containers! 

I felt that it was quite a fulfilling day, getting many tasks done. For tomorrow, it may be delivery day again! That means going to the village and installing more filters! This time, i'll try to carry out conversations with the Khmer villagers, but i gotta learn some Khmer words first! Till tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment